Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Territory's seeping in


The colour orange seems to be everywhere here. The sun-sets and the dirt (but I guess you call orange dirt red) are a vibrant shade of ochre. That colour has ingrained itself into my running shoes, which have been getting a bit of a beating at the moment as I train for the 1/2 half marathon I'm doing with my pal Melanie.
My fitness footware are glowing with the dust now as I went for a 40 minute jog this afternoon from my flat to through the botanic gardens. It was a very impressive running track and it also provided me with some hills, which are rare in the top end.

I thought I'd jog through the park to the suburb of Stuart Park. A place I thought was a fair ways away from my joint. But as it turned out the whole time I was looking for the way there I was actually right in the middle of it. I had one of those 'ah ha' moments when I realised that Darwin is a lot smaller than I thought. The city shrinks a little every time I gain a new geographical perspective.
After the run I did something I know not many people at home would have done. No I didn't crack open a coldie and go pig shooting...I went for a swim. Many people up here tell me its too cold at this time of year. But after a 40 minute sweat out in 30 degree heat getting in the pool was heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment