Thursday, May 21, 2009

Darwin takes the cake

I've been wanting to tell you about this even before I started this blog. I noticed these larger than life cakes on my second day in Darwin. I was walking along the Smith Street mall to work when I noticed these icing sugar gems out of the corner of my eye. It took me a few steps to register what they were. When I did I stopped and walked back for a closer look.






These cakes are in the front window of Darwin's biggest souvenir shop. The reason it's taken me so long to tell you about them is because I didn't want to take a photo when the shop was open as the people who run it hang out the front of it quite a bit. I had to get a photo first so you could fully appreciate them (or believe me). Tonight I was able to snap them under the cover of darkness.


At first I thought the cakes had crocodiles on them, but when I looked closer I realised that they sported buffaloes, teddy bears and Chinese dragons.

Even though they look spectacular I wouldn't eat one of them because the same ones have been sitting in the display window for the past 4 weeks, at least. I suspect they are not cakes at all but decorated Styrofoam.

No comments:

Post a Comment