Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hold the Phone: Doing Things the Darwin Way

If you need to contact someone in Darwin the phone is sometimes not the most practical way of going about it. Today I was trying to get some one for work. I was calling and calling the number they were supposed to be near, but no answer.

After the third attempt I thought the place were they were was only around the corner and I was in need of a fresh air break so I walked overm there. I went inside and had a quick chat . Within minutes I had accomplished my work related task and had communed with the outside world.

When I got back to the office I talked about my experience with a colleague who told me that when the phones at work stopped working a staff member got up from their desk and walked out of the building around the corner to the state office of the telco and got one of their staff to come back to look at the problem.

Top End lesson: your fingers don't always have to do the walking.

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo Darwin. Don't you love it? That face to face contact still happens?

    ReplyDelete