Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Other Side

I saw the Top End from a different perspective today. From the Cox Peninsular, which is the other side of Darwin Harbour.





I took the ferry from Cullen Bay across to Mandorah with a friend from work and some of her friends. There's not much near the ferry terminal on the other side, but there is a very relaxed pub which also has motel style accommodation.





Many people make the 20 minute voyage across the harbour mouth just to chill out at the pub, but some people live over there and some people take their bikes on the ferry with them so they can do a bit of riding on the other side.











I was there to chill and to eat. It was lunch time and I was very hungry. Since I've been in the top end I've heard a few people mention the 'Barra Burger' (I don't think they have any other type of fish up here). But for the last month I've been dying to try one and today I did.







I wasn't disappointed it was just what I needed on sleepy Sunday afternoon, battered fish and mayonnaise.

It was great to get out of the city for a bit. It reminded me in some ways of Stockton (across the Harbour from Newcastle) or Manly, in that you do feel relaxed looking back at the fast pace of the city. Although in this case that pace isn't too fast.






No comments:

Post a Comment