Monday, June 8, 2009

The Sun Also Sets



My favourite Ryan Adams song is called the The Sun Also Sets, but it isn't the sunrise that captures your attention here. The sun takes it's sweet time to rise in the Top End. It comes up a little after 7am, but it takes a long and spectacular time in the evening to vanish below the watery Northern horizon.

The event starts just a bit after 5:30pm when the orange orb starts to dip towards the water. On the weekends many tourists stand on the beaches ,cameras at the ready to capture the beautiful end of the tropical day. For the past two days I've found my self among the holiday-makers witnessing the days close, although I only brought my camera along today.

This evening when I got to the beach at Cullen Bay (about 15 minutes walk from my flat) I was too late to the see the sun be devoured by the ocean, but the twilight was amazing. The navy blue of the water meeting the dark purple of the sky in a fuzzy peach light. It's such a romantic sight I started to really miss my partner, but there's only five more weeks till he'll be here. Now I've thought about that time line I'm going to make sure I see as many of the sunsets as I can. You really do feel like you're on the top of Australia when you see the sun fall over its edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment