Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Great to Tree Here


I thought I was impressed by the ruins of the Palmerston Town Hall, which was all but destroyed by Cyclone Tracy, but I'm more taken by this amazing tree's will to survive. It's called Galamarrma or the Tree of knowledge and you find it just outside the Darwin City Council Chambers (which are just across the road from where I'm working). In fact they had to build the chambers around the tree because it's so significant.



The sign near the Banyan tree says its been there since about 1898, which means it's survived three major cyclones and the bombing of Darwin. Over this time it's been an important meeting place to number of generations of Darwinians.


But it isn't the only amazing tree in the city. I've noticed several while I've been jogging and I plan to go back and take some photos of them.




As I stand in front of these trees I think of the comfort they give me. Not just from the shade they throw where I can escape the hot tropical sun, but through the things they remind me of. Stability, flexibility and life.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME headline Nat. Great post. Love it love it love it.

    ReplyDelete