Sunday, June 14, 2009

Not Just A Hole


This is not just a hole. Of course I wouldn't have known this if I had walked past it on a weekday. If it were a workday I probably have jogged past it anyway.

The first time I went by this ditch I didn't even notice it. I was on my way to the museum and art gallery of the Northern Territory. I woke up on Saturday morning and knew that was the one thing I wanted to do with my day. Or at least the other thing than jogging 9km without stopping (which I did!).










On my way back to my flat I was in a plaque reading mood (I still had my museum eyes in). In
fact I saw the sign first. It said 'If I lie in this ditch you can get a very good view of the harbour' which was unusual I thought. I continued reading. It turns out this pretty normal looking hole was dug as a trench to defend the city during the World War II.









Not satisfied with this explanation I got down on my knees and had a look at the view myself (photo above). At that point I felt a real connection to Darwin's past, something I could only imagine as I walked around the museum jut a half hour earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment